Saturday, November 26, 2011

Jewish Life in Germany today



As a German teacher, I am frequently asked about Jewish culture and German culture.  I think that most students want a talking-point-like quick answer from me, but they don't get one.  I wish I could give a two- or three sentence answer which would do justice to the question, because the long version [read: what Herr Graff ends up saying in the span of 20-40 sentences] is way too much to process at a time.

So while I work on refining my response to this question, let me refer everyone to this article at germany.info 

Especially in light of the recent outbreak of right-wing idiocy in Germany, it's important to know that respect and tolerance and mixed-salad-concept of German citizenry is the norm.

There is currently an exhibition at the Jewish Museum in Berlin which investigates these questions: http://www.jmberlin.de/heimatkunde/ausstellung/en/ausstellungsinfo.php

No comments:

Post a Comment